I decided to undertake the 2010 London Marathon for Barnardo's due to a couple of reasons. The first was that I had a place via the ballot and thought that as Royal Mail sponsors Barnardo's, I would like to make my own contribution to the cause. The second was that my mother continually told me that it was pointless going through all the pain without raising some money for a worthwhile charity, so with 3 weeks to go I contacted Barnardo's to join the team!
As this was my 15th marathon, I knew the pitfalls to avoid as well as the likely pain I would endure along the way, I was more concerned with the rising daily weather reports telling me that it was going to be 24 degrees the hottest day of the year! On the day of the run we were actually drenched between 0900 and 0930 which cooled me down before the race had even started. The weather was humid and slowed me down somewhat but I can't complain as the clouds above stopped the temperature getting too high and I finished in a respectable 3:48.
The highlight was the wonderful support from all the crowds throughout as well as the noisy but fantastic support from the Barnardo's support team, especially on the Embankment which gave me that little bit of motivation at 24 miles when I was flagging as well as the support of my wife and 2 daughters on Birdcage Walk! I also enjoyed passing Gordon Ramsey and Jenni Falconer at 6 miles and less so when Jenni came past me at 16 miles looking as fresh as a daisy, Gordon was no-where to be seen.
I would also like to thank the Barnardo's staff for their support and kindness at the finishing area and the recuperation area, supplying food drinks and a massage, it felt genuine and was most appreciated by all those that participated. Never again was said for the 15th time, it lasted about 2 hours!!
Monday, May 24
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.